Monday, September 03, 2007

POLL: Please Vote!!

I love a good poll... the one on my sidebar is the first one I've done on this blog, and it was inspired by a programme I saw once that proclaimed the duo of Amitabh Bachchan and Rekha Hindi cinema's best couple ever.... According to the programme, their onscreen chemistry in films like 'Silsila' was amazing, and paled only in comparison to the rumoured blazing secret love affair between the two...

Well, having seen the Amit Ji/Rekha jodi in only one film ('Muqaddar ka Sikandar'), I probably am not the most qualified person to pass judgment on this assessment... but for what it's worth, I disagree. I'll tell you who I think shares the best onscreen chemistry with him later, after some votes have come in (readers of this blog will probably already have guessed who my vote goes to... it's actually revealed in a past blog post). And I'll also reveal later which of the actresses on the list I think has shared the least onscreen chemistry with Big B.

But, far more importantly, I'd love to know what you think... please vote in the poll (you can vote for as many actresses as you like)... and leave a comment here if one of the actresses you'd like to vote for isn't already on the list. I can think of one actress who's not on the list but whom I really liked opposite Amit Ji - the gorgeous Shefali Shah (they played husband and wife in 'Waqt - A Race Against Time'). Also, I'd appreciate comments saying whose name you think should be stricken off the list (because there's no chemistry there).

Anyway... enough talk... please vote, I look forward to finding out what you think...

8 comments:

Uzo said...

Oh fun..Loving the regular and very very fun updates...Soooooo for the love of heaven, strike Bindu's name off that list

Daddy's Girl said...

LOLLL... Uzo, I love your comments.

Anonymous said...

Interesting question - interesting, because when I tried to answer it in my mind I found I couldn't think of a single memorable pairing of his that I would describe as having "chemistry."

I'm actually not a huge believer in chemistry - I think it's just another word for two actors both doing their jobs; when a pair lacks chemistry it's because one actor isn't standing up to the other.

In Amitabh's case, I can think of many films in which he was memorable but the pairing was not. A popular choice might be Rekha, but I don't think (I've seen *Silsila*, *Muqaddar ka sikandar*) she matches well with him at all; he is big and earthy, and her ephemeral breathiness just melts into the background next to him. Another popular choice, I expect, would be Jaya; I don't think I've seen enough films in which they were paired to decide. In *Silsila* they aren't supposed to be in love; in *Sholay* their attraction is very intense but mostly from afar; in *Chupke chupke* they have very few scenes together.

And so, on further reflection (and with the caveat that I haven't seen him paired with all of these women), I am surprised to find my vote going to Parveen Babi, who is not a favorite of mine, and yet somehow seems to be a good match for his big, earthy, brooding presence.

Honorable mention to Tabu!

Daddy's Girl said...

Very interesting remarks, Carla... especially your take on the concept of 'chemistry'... incidentally that famous Bollywood couple, SRK/Kajol would agree with you - they have also said they don't believe in chemistry, they just do good work with each other. I am a big believer in that intangible 'something' that can exist between two particular actors... I think two actors can do their best work individually but still strike out as an onscreen pair (but then, are they really doing their best work if they aren't interacting with each other in a way that works for the story of the movie?) Hmmm... your take is definitely food for thought.
I really loved Amitabh and Jaya in 'Abhimaan' (a Hrishikesh Mukherjee film) - for me, that was their best movie together (although I haven't seen 'Silsila'), and I think it's a marvellous film. I also liked them together in 'Zanjeer'.
And thanks for mentioning Tabu - I am yet to see 'Cheeni Kum' but I'm really looking forward to it!

Daddy's Girl said...

Oh... and for Jaya/Amitabh, there's also the lovely 'Mili' (also directed by Hrishikesh Mukherjee). I know you're not really into the recent stuff, Carla so I won't mention K3G... although I just did.

Anonymous said...

Haha! I don't mind recent movies on principal; it's just that there's 60+ years of filmi history I'm trying to catch up on. ;) I'm sure I will see KKKG eventually as the big slick showy films of Karan Johar have their own kind of charms.

*Mili* and *Abhimaan* are both in the "to be watched" pile as I am a great admirer of Hrishikesh Mukherjee.

I wonder what you will think of *Cheeni kum* - I adored it but others were more lukewarm. I look forward to your thoughts on it.

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

I was going to vote for Neetu Singh and then realized she isn't ont he list. So, with her out, I chose Hema, and my runner up would be Parveen. Rekha is way at the bottom - I don't find them particularly interesting together.

Daddy's Girl said...

@Carla: I will probably watch 'Cheeni Kum' this weekend...

@Beth... thanks for mentioning Neetu Singh - I am yet to see a movie that features Neetu/Amitabh as co-stars (I've only seen them together in films like 'Deewaar', 'Kasme Vaade', 'Amar Akbar Anthony' and 'Kabhi Kabhie', where they share very litle screen time and no romantic connection). Would love to know which movie(s) your vote would've based on - 'Parvarish' (haven't seen it)? I don't get the Amitabh/Rekha thing either but interestingly she's doing very well in the poll at the moment...