Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Just a Note...

Just a note to say that I’m currently posting photos from my trip to India over on my other blog – please head over and take a look if you’re interested. I’m also working on a post about the Bollywood-related stuff I encountered on the trip – and that will be posted here in due course.

And now I’m off to find out how the ‘Om Shanti Om’ vs. ‘Saawariya’ contest is shaping up. Of course there’s also the Sonam Kapoor vs. Deepika Padukone contest that the press has hyped to the max (because ‘two actresses can never get along, especially when there’s a young, luscious, ruby-lipped Ranbir Kapoor to catfight over’ – whatever).

Personally, I am really looking forward to seeing both movies, but I have to say that while I’m sure I will have A LOT more fun watching ‘Om Shanti Om’ than with ‘Saawariya’ (plus there’s SRK and loads of star cameos in OSO, including my dear Dharam-ji making a brief appearance); performance-wise I am more excited about watching the newbies in ‘Saawariya’ than the newbie and oldie in ‘Om Shanti Om’. Me likey fresh blood (she says, in her best vampire voice). And I find Ranbir and Sonam (and the path they took to get to where they are – co-starring in a Sanjay Leeela Bhansali film as their industry debut) quite interesting. Sonam in particular comes across to me as a very gutsy girl and more compelling to me than the woman the press have tagged her competitor. Usually I'd be more interested in the girl from outside the 'film fraternity', without the starry papa, but I just think Sonam is really feisty and interesting, and just might have more staying power.

In terms of the music, though, I am definitely more in love with the ‘Om Shanti Om’ soundtrack than the ‘Saawariya’ one – both are really good but ‘Saawariya’ is typical SLB-movie fare, in that it’s more classical and intricate and… ultimately kinda slow for the mornings (which is my main music time – unfortunately I can’t have music playing at work, and the hours are long). So I’ve spent many recent mornings with ‘Ajab Si’, ‘Deewangi Deewangi’, ‘Dastaan E Om’, ‘Jaage Soona Soona Lage’, ‘Dard-e-Disco’, ‘Main Agar Kahoon’ and ‘Dhoom Taana’. The soundtrack (sans the remixes, which I tend to ignore) is fab!

5 comments:

Uzo said...

I love Ajab Si...Definitely looking forward to seeing both movies....Although like you Saawariya has me that little bit more curious....Off to get the Saawariya soundtrack.....

Cant wait to see you think weekend oh...

Ravi Kapoor said...

Hi there!

Just wanna say that I absolutely loved your 3 articles on your India trip on your other blog and you are doing an amazing job on this Bollywood blog also mam :)

Take care n keep writing!

Ravi (a reader of your blog)

Daddy's Girl said...

@uzo: we need to keep an eye out for these movies!

@Ravi: thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate them.

Allied said...

Daddy's girl.. Sorry i hated both movies. It was a waste of my time. Om shanti Om was ok, but Saawariya is a flop for me.

Oh.. i enjoyed garba here too. I got to wear several of my ghagra cholis. the dance was not as complex as i thot.

Daddy's Girl said...

@Allied, sorry to hear you hated both films... it's always a bummer to spend money on movies and not enjoy them, pele. OSO has totally whipped Saawariya's butt as far as both the public and the critics are concerned, so I'm not surprised you thought OSO was better (even if marginally so). Me, I'm still really looking forward to seeing them both - I'm very very curious about them.
Glad you had a great time with the garba! And in your ghagra cholis - with your figure (as seen in your profile pic) I'm sure you looked fab (hint - wouldn't mind seeing a pic!)